Geraldo de Barros
Geraldo de Barros (1923 – 1998), is a Brazilian painter, photographer and designer.
He was one of the exponents of vanguard in Brazilian art, a precursor of concrete art and pioneer in abstract photography.
He was also active as a furniture designer from the mid 50’s (Unilabor) until the end of the eighties (Hobjeto), deeply involved both in the function of design and in the social structure of the economy he was actuating in.
Some furniture pieces are re-edited in Brazil by Dpot
- The book Sobras published by Chose Commune winner of the 2017 Nadar Gens d’image Prize. Congratulations to the editors!
- Making Art Concrete: Works from Argentina and Brazil in the Colección Patricia Phelps de Cisneros, part of the initiative Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA, The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 6.9.2017 – 11.2.2018
- Geraldo de Barros – Fotoformas e Sobras, Fundação Arpad-Szenes / Vieira da Silva, Lisboa, 15.5 – 17.9.2017
- The book Sobras published by Chose Commune is nominated for the Award “Best Historical Book” at Rencontres d’Arles 2017
- The Revolution is dead – long live the Revolution! From Malevich to Judd, Centrum Paul Klee, Bern, 13.4 – 9.7.2017
- 20.4.2017 – Presentation by Fabiana de Barros of the book Sobras – Geraldo de Barros, published by french editor Chose Commune, Musée de l’Elysée. Lausanne.
- Geraldo de Barros, Sobras, DOCUMENT Gallery, Chicago, 25/2 – 8/4 2017
- ARCOmadrid, – Galeria Luciana Brito, Madrid, stand 7D07, 22 – 26 feb 2017
- ART Basel/Miami – Galeria Luciana Brito, 1 – 4 dec 2016, Stand M4.
- Geraldo de Barros: Geraldo Industrial. From 5/11/2016. Galeria Luciana Brito, Av. Nove de Julho, 5162 – São Paulo.
- The book “Geraldo de Barros – Isso”, by Fabiana de Barros, SESCSP Edition, is awarded with the first prize for the Written Texts at the 30º Prêmio Design MCB.
- MOSTRA | COLEÇÃO MCB – NOVAS DOAÇÕES, exhibition at the Museu da Casa Brasileira in São Paulo. Opening: 24/11/2016.
- Geraldo de Barros: Off Center, Sicardi Gallery, Houston, TX, USA